Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Joy of Children

I haven't posted a blog in a few weeks. I have a lot of ideas going, but haven't taken the time to put them all into words yet. To tide everyone over, I have a quick story to share.

The other day, Ania, Marta and I were walking to the market. When we were cutting through one of the side streets there was a group of children playing. They were playing some sort of game that involved tossing something back and forth while someone else ran. We had to walk in the middle of their game to get through so we were just awkwardly cutting through saying, "malesh" (sorry) and "kef?" (how are you?) We made it all the way through and then one little boy, who was probably about 5, ran up to us with his hand extended and said "kawaija (white person), how are you?" As soon as we started shaking his hand, all of the other children ran up to us with huge smiles and their little hands extended yelling with glee, "kawaija kwaija!" It was one of those moments that filled me with such pure joy. In that moment, I felt God's love in such a real and intimate way. I was so completely assured that I am exactly were the Lord wants me to be, doing exactly what he wants me to be doing.

I am forever grateful for the lessons I can learn from children, for the smiles they offer me and the simplicity of their love.

1 comment:

  1. A touching little experience. Maybe some possible youth center kids for the future? God bless you and your 2 companions and everyone else at the mission.

    ReplyDelete